Solo Yak

First truly nice day of spring appeared in the forecast and found me unprepared.  With my kayak still not water worthy on the 29th I scambled after work to try and finish the patch work that I had started.  To my dismay the drying time recommended was 24 hours.  Plans canceled.  There will be other nice Sundays.

Fast forward to Sunday early morning sitting on the roof of the apartment reading a book, sipping some coffee, and nursing a small hangover from the night before.  Sun shining on me I thought to myself "what the hell are you doing; don't waste a great day like this - load up your kayak and get on the river!".  So that is exactly what I did.

Too late to organize anything with my fellow woodsmen my wonderful wife agreed to pick me up at the end of my route.  A quick text picture of where she could find me after my call and I was off.


I picked a section of the river that I had never been on before - Gitchie Manitou State Preserve to the Grandview County Road - 4.2 river miles.

The canoe landing area at the state preserve was awesome.  After parking in a small lot right off the highway you needed to hike about 150 yards to the river.  Have to say that it felt pretty cool to lug my kayak down to the edge to the river.  Luck was on myside becuase the kayak did indeed float - my patch work was a success.

The river was full of activity.  I could see the tail end of 4 kayakers rounding the bend of the river as a put in and every 20-30 min I would come across people out walking enjoying the first great day of early spring.

The "chesty" mount for the GoPro worked great for kayaking.  I was able to take some pretty cool videos and even started playing around with mounting the camera on different spots of the kayak.  I plan on making some videos once I have some more free time this spring.


Two highlights of the trip were the highwalled bluffs that I passed by and the remaining pillars of a bridge long out of commission.


I reached the end of the route in about 1:45.  Overall a great Sunday afternoon paddle and Kelsey managed to find me with no problems!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2018 Zumbro 50 - "A Unique Experience"